Main Forum
Page
of 26

BATTLETECH-Kickstarter-Invasion

253 replies
1-up:
+167
Couple of DLC continuing on the characters, but then #2 could be all clans.
OMC-Sig-Test2-halfsize_zps1b8e2d8a.png
Posted May 13, 18
Internet Points:
+100
1-up:
+1,189
I guess there could be some kind of unknown clan fight or something akin to Klondike where the story could take place. Do the same thing they did in this story and just make up a fictional clan but then it'd have to die out before 3050 so that leaves the Klondike rip-off where your fictional group (maybe it could be some Isoral unit?) of clanners hunt down rebels in clan space.

If it is a 3050 timeline then what's the fucking point, unless we're back in the periphery we already know exactly how the invasion plays out and if they let the player decide then the entire game becomes apocryphal and generally content creators don't want that since it strips some of the authority they have from the narrative.

Now unfortunately our little made-up periphery empire is on the wrong side of the IS to be hit by the clans but we're mercenaries so there's no reason we couldn't be stationed elsewhere, like some dusty rimward planet in the Tamar March of the FedCom wasting our time fighting bandits in decaying mechs when the clans arrive. There's actually very little info on what the clans did in the periphery aside from Phelan's story though the clans spent almost a full year in the periphery before commencing the first wave of the invasion.

I dunno man, clans are really hard to do well...as someone with a fair amount of BT knowledge (lore not the TT game) I haven't yet seen even a decent implementation of clans, the closest was MW4's approach but it was in the mid 3060s so didn't have to contend with the invasion and it's timeline is all out of whack anyways.

The only good news is that if we do have to fight clans prior to 3051-52 then they'll be adhering to Zellbrigen so will have to fight our unit 1vs1 regardless of how many enemies are spawned :p That raises another point; if we do fight clan vs clan and, as the player, don't follow the clan's rather strict martial code will the game take that into account? It wouldn't make sense to allow us to steam roll the campaign with LRM boats or 4vs1 every mech like we are now, you'd be exiled.
WybbtOO.png
Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
Posted May 14, 18
1-up:
+164
You could do some of the clan civil wars during the exodus. The Exodus civil war, and the elimination of Clan Wolverine - though I am unsure if that occurred before the development of omnimechs... If so it kinda defeats the purpose of letting the clan faithful play with their toys.

A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
Posted May 15, 18
1-up:
+164
wrote:
I had a look at JK's mod (which this mod uses) a week or so ago and it's cool having more variants and all but most still suffer the same problems as the existing variants. Although there are a few exceptions to this like the Banshee 3S which has a significantly smaller engine allowing the 95t Banshee to finally have more firepower than a 55t Shadow Hawk (not even a joke) do mean we aren't locked into using Highlanders for brawling, Highlanders for LRDF and Highlanders (or Stalkers) for indirect fire support.
The best part of JK's mod is the variation in loadouts to be honest. It gets a bit predictable otherwise.

One mod I picked up changed the turrets from AC2s to Gauss rifles - 4 of them.... Adds a bit to the early game challenge when you get spotted by an opfor light mech, then blown apart by a hail of gauss slugs....

Posted May 15, 18
Internet Points:
+100
1-up:
+1,189
Yeah Klondike and Clan Wolverine's Trial of Annihilation took place like 30 years before the first Omni saw daylight.

It would probably be too much of a leap forward imo but I could kind of see Operation Bulldog (ca. 3060) working as a story-line for Battletech. This would allow the whole mercenary theme as well as give the player access to clan tech whilst pushing the "dirty clanner scum" narrative that most video games go with since we'd be fighting the Smoke Jaguars that a) nobody really likes, b) are the leading Crusader faction and c) glassed a planet from orbit during the invasion...basically they are twats.

I don't think the player should be involved with invading the Kerensky Cluster but driving the clans out of the Inner Sphere would bring in clans and their tech without the stale clan invasion story.

Plus personal upside for me, we'd be allied with Clan Wolf in exile and Phelan is one of my favourite BT characters along with Kai Allard who also took part. I love the fact that for this part of the story-line it's pretty much Phelan as the best clan pilot with a focus on small unit tactics and Kai the best IS pilot and the only time they meet in combat is a simulated unit fight (sponsored by the Kell Hounds IIRC) and it's a draw.
WybbtOO.png
Posted May 15, 18 · Last edited May 15, 18
List
Undo
Valore atag
Internet Points:
+100
1-up:
+369
Admins
Or you could just have Wolf's Dragoons. Can be Merc, have a bit of Clan tech to satisfy the Clanner players and still have it set in Inner Sphere.
f_YHTNmg_zps839649b8.jpg
Posted May 15, 18
Internet Points:
+100
1-up:
+1,189
wrote:
Or you could just have Wolf's Dragoons. Can be Merc, have a bit of Clan tech to satisfy the Clanner players and still have it set in Inner Sphere.
If we play as a lance commander in Wolf's Dragoons we aren't going to get much choice in how we progress since the brass would be making those decisions and if we play as said brass then we will have up to 5 entire regiments to command...not sure that can really be made to fit the game :p

Of course since most of the parties involved in the original campaign are completely made up why not gold the whole hog and have the, now restored, Aurigan Reach hit by a renegade crusader clan a year or two before the invasion. Could even be elements of the Smoke Jaguars acting under the orders of their Kahn to prove the IS needs to be conquered...wouldn't be hard to make something like that fit since the precedent already exists with Wolf's Dragoons and their Warden mission to infiltrate the IS.

I still think it would either need to be set in the periphery or after the battle of Tukayyid to keep from potentially messing up the timeline if we're going to play with clans. If we don't play with clans then it won't really matter when or where we play since mercs were so common.
WybbtOO.png
Posted May 15, 18
1-up:
+164
The next thing I think it would be interesting to try would be to allow the player to drop with more than one lance - say at company level. You can balance it by having hem arrive as "allied forces" not directly under your control.

Posted May 16, 18
Internet Points:
+100
1-up:
+1,189
Yeah there's a few people playing with that idea currently, fingers crossed. Unfortunately HBS said that won't be happening in official BT content expansions however they did say there might be off-map effects to represent additional allied forces. I'm taking that to mean the obvious like called artillery and/or aerospace flyovers...actually the latter would be cool, reveal a corridor of the map for a single phase.
WybbtOO.png
Posted May 16, 18
Internet Points:
+100
1-up:
+877
Admins
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8g7dxm/hbs_developer_update_ama_summarized/?utm_source=reddit-android
Posted May 17, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Page
of 26
NoticeNotices